HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 

What do you look for in a TCG?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
keyvski

PostSubject: What do you look for in a TCG?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm interested in working on an app-based rpg/tcg game. My main focus is to make a game that is free-player friendly while still offering buy-able perks (however I am going to work my hardest to make sure these perks dont influence event rankings as much as is the case on Fantasica).

The main reason for this is that while I love Fantasica I have a lot of problems with it (mostly Mobage, really). And as the saying goes, if you want something done a certain way, you ought to do it yourself.

That said, the opinion of fellow players would be really valuable to me if I do pursue this Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gambolice
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:28 am

Probably you can have a Normal save data and Events save data.

You can opt to join or quit events anytime you want. The Events data will only be activated when you are in an event. The Events data will be reseted at the end of every event.

Possible idea?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abuqasar
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:42 am

Apart from Fanta ive been playing Magic the Gathering for awhile. (Since AVR k its pretty recent XD) But i think what both Fanta and MTG have in common is that they both have really strong community ties. You can talk for hours about trades, battle events and matches w each other. If you're thinking of implementing a Trading card game i feel its really important to have strong communication links within the game itself. Fanta has very basic war boards. Imagine a fully fledged chat or trade board where you could barter and auction w/o resorting to KIK. Very Happy Thats my 2 cents on it. Cool idea btw!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gambolice
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 am

I miss playing MTG. But pity, it's so expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abuqasar
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:29 am

gambolice wrote:
I miss playing MTG. But pity, it's so expensive.
Ikr. Im on break from standard now only playing EDH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gambolice
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:25 am

^ played until Judgement series.

Damn Spiritmonger was so OP back then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aubade888
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 am

It needs to have goals for big spenders to keep the servers going like cool rank rewards.

It needs to have achievable goals for free/occasional paying players. They need to have a way to measure their progress and feel as though their efforts are rewarded. I like the idea of having one 100 coin summon an event, since it gives players with limited income a way to support the game and have fun.

Have only one type of currency. No luna, no pots, just TE. Having multiple currencies is silly.

Have a way of grinding for the currency, since having currency in the game makes pulled cards more valuable and makes players excited to pull cards. It's nice to have a lot of currency in a game since trading card to card without any type of currency of value is difficult.

In my experience it's best to have some way to grind for tickets to pull cards (even if it's really challenging and takes a long time to get the tickets). Fanta gets really boring without spending, because many people play for the joy of pulling cards (even crappy ones). Also if you have crappy luck having a way to accumulate credit towards pulling a rare card. Valkyrie Crusade has no trading system so it's a bit different but I like the idea of collecting vouchers from competing and then exchanging them for a ticket to summon a card. So you compete and get 30 maiden tickets from an event by ranking in top 1k and then exchange 120 maiden tickets for a summon. Then each time you use the special summon that you save up for the percentage chance of pulling an SR card accumulates.

A good system with good incentives to recycle cards. For example, (applying to fanta) recycling a 6* and getting a certain amount of TE from recycling it.

It's hard to balance a trading card game without giving paying players an inordinate amount of power from paying. My ideal fanta would be a game where I could work hard by playing to earn a way to pull cards, and then selling those cards for TE. Then buying rank reward cards with TE after grinding.

Their system as it is right now only gives stupid premium tickets from grinding. And there is very little TE so it is hard to make trades happen.

Limit luck based things events like recruitment. Nothing makes people rage harder than a cruel RNG. Instead make the goal difficult but achievable, but guarantee success.

Edit:

This one might be controversial. Gradually phase out older cards as new cards are introduced to reward players by having older/rare cards. It also gets rid of having a growing pool of unpopular cards that you can pull. I think this would be nice, since it would mean fanta would eventually phase out pulling thrain/alex XD. At least when I think of paying, nothing stops me from paying faster than thinking of paying 30 bucks to pull Thrain or Alex. Ew.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blargod
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:02 pm

I agree with pretty much aubade has to say except for the multiple currencies. Any game can have multiple currencies as long as there's a use for them. These serve as temporary time-gates to the progression of players so that people don't progress too quickly in a game.

What I look for:

1. Gameplay - A level of depth and interaction with the player is nice. Some people will lose interest in the game if it's merely a tap and progress game.

2. Art- Not really a deal breaker but it can make the difference in the game looking polished from unpolished.

3. Progression - Pretty much everything needs to be said has been stated by aubade

4. Equity - Ties into progression and powercreeping. Yes, paying players should have advantage over non-paying players but it has to be within reasonable boundaries. Fantasica is a really good example of unreasonable advantage that the premium currency brings since you have to pay tons of cash to do well in an event; this makes progression useless since bettering your unit roster doesn't have much of an effect anyway.
Case in point, I've been monitoring Fantasica in the top grossing apps; right before the release of 7*s, it was 15th place. During the release of 7*s it bumped up to 4th and now it's back down to 10th. Short term money making events that throw all concepts for what is fun and fair for a non-paying player off the wayside will hurt the longevity of the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aubade888
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Blargod wrote:
I agree with pretty much aubade has to say except for the multiple currencies. Any game can have multiple currencies as long as there's a use for them. These serve as temporary time-gates to the progression of players so that people don't progress too quickly in a game.

What I look for:

1. Gameplay - A level of depth and interaction with the player is nice. Some people will lose interest in the game if it's merely a tap and progress game.

2. Art- Not really a deal breaker but it can make the difference in the game looking polished from unpolished.

3. Progression - Pretty much everything needs to be said has been stated by aubade

4. Equity - Ties into progression and powercreeping. Yes, paying players should have advantage over non-paying players but it has to be within reasonable boundaries. Fantasica is a really good example of unreasonable advantage that the premium currency brings since you have to pay tons of cash to do well in an event; this makes progression useless since bettering your unit roster doesn't have much of an effect anyway.
Case in point, I've been monitoring Fantasica in the top grossing apps; right before the release of 7*s, it was 15th place. During the release of 7*s it bumped up to 4th and now it's back down to 10th. Short term money making events that throw all concepts for what is fun and fair for a non-paying player off the wayside will hurt the longevity of the game.
Thanks! I have been thinking a lot about TCG. I completely agree with your points on longevity especially. Making erratic decisions makes people not want to invest long term because they question the viability of your game.

I think the one thing that is blatantly obvious but needs mentioning is to be nice to your player base. Be nice in terms of being fair and finding ways to encourage people to play. Being nice isn't randomly giving things away for free in an event (like randomly giving away event items to everyone).

I think the undoing of fanta is making their user base hate them and not want to support them due to negative experiences. I get really angry when I feel that a person who is running a game is exploiting or being misleading with rules to get short term money from people. People like to come up with strategies when they are competing, so if you are totally transparent in how an event is going to be run people will appreciate it.

If you do make a mistake then be honest about it and apologize. It will make your user base respect you a lot more than just pretending it didn't happen. Try to find some way to make an amends without inflating the economy of the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abyssight
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 pm

I played MTG but only VERY casually. I drew booster packs and made casual some decks with whatever I happened to get. Draft was the only event I played because I was too poor to play constructed. For me most of the fun comes from the thinking process, the many decision makings during deck construction, and the occasional creative move in a game. The artwork is fantastic too.

Started during the Urza's block. I think Weatherseed Treefolk was my first rare xD. I shifted in and out of it since.

Fanta doesn't have much thinking to speak of compared to MTG. I only play for the artwork. So I trade away only the units I don't like, and end up with a fairly long NFS list of favorite units.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keyvski

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:56 am

I will take all this into consideration. I agree with pretty much everything here, and am trying to find a good balance (since the creation and maintenance of a game, even a small app, can be expensive, especially for someone who isn't exactly doing this professionally).

The game itself would have bi-weekly events to give players time to breathe in between, with special units for each event (however, the low-star cards would be readily available for free players by the grind-for-ingame-currency ((to pull for free)) method). Most of the event-based high-stars would be gained either by getting an extremely lucky pull or paying. However, I do plan to hold events or simply debut new high-rank units that wouldn't be so impossible to get as a free player. The one drawback is that I would be doing the card art, so my if a person didn't like my style, they wouldn't be interested in the tcg aspect of the game. However, I'm hoping that with the integration of a moving plotline and a few other things, the art won't be the only draw to the game.

Style Examples:
Spoiler:

Hopefully if this gets enough traction, I will be able to add different artists to the team. It will be a long-term project anyway, one I'm assuming will take months and months. But for me, growing up with great rpgs and tcgs, and being on Fanta now (and seeing the many problems), it's most important for me to understand the people I'd be selling my idea to before I even think of sitting down and getting this together. I'm not in it for the money, moreso for the opportunity to finally get an idea of mine out there that I've tried to translate into many different mediums before settling on a game. So for me, building a game around appealing to the player instead of making a quick buck is much more attractive of an idea.

Thank you guys so much, and feel free to keep posting here. You can also e-mail me if you have more to say or have helpful information regarding the process (or if you just want to give me reviews of other tcgs/rpgs you have played, phone app or not).
keyvski@hotmail.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
apherdites

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:33 pm

A balance of challenging enough to keep me interested and not too complicated as to put me off. Though that's generally true of most of what I attempt in life. Nice graphics don't hurt, I suppose. Props to all of you with real reasons.
Rock on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a TCG?   Today at 3:11 pm

Back to top Go down

What do you look for in a TCG?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fantasica :: General Chat-
Jump to: