HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 

Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Benster159

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:18 pm

I've played another game where raffles were introduced, and the only way they worked was one of two ways.

1) having established a VERY good reputation in the community prior to hosting.

Or

2) contracting a middle man with a VERY good reputation.

They only lasted about a month on that games forum before they were banned due to the same reasons listed here earlier. The other reason was that its a guaranteed way to "sell" your card for what you want out of it PLUS more when you set a minimum entry. Some people were getting double the market price because it was lots of people paying a small amount vs 1 person buying it. Some people made it enjoyable with lots of extras, too. Like "if 50 people enter, this card will also get thrown into a second draw. 100 entries and 2 extra draws," etc. in acsending value. Essentially, the more people that entered, the less profit (or even greater loss) for the host.and most of the time the entry fee was a feeder, and not the premium currency. This helped secure both entrants and hosts. Even if it was a scam, they'd have to liquidate the assets first, which is very hard to do when you've established yourself as a scammer in the community. And the entrants? Well, they're out a feeder, but not premium currency. Here, I would think a lvl 40 4*, or even a 4* set is a reasonable obtainable entry fee to all, and not a premium currency.

Also, there is a site (maybe the one you named, I didn't check) that let's you assign names and not #s to entrants. If anyone questions the validity of your draw, they can go and enter their assigned name, and it will tell them if they were included or not. It also keeps track of how many draws were made, who won each draw, etc. all viewable to the public, and unchangeable to the host after draws are made, I believe.

I will not be entering, but heed the advice and opinions that I and others have given you and yes, maybe this will work out for you. But as others have said, raffles are a very tricky business to do properly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benster159

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:02 pm

To be clear, I don't mean to discourage you doing a raffle, just make sure every possible concern is addressed, and a solution is presented for each concern accordingly. A community trusted middle man is definitely the best way to go if you don't have much of a reputation, but there are other ways to go about it. And I would very strongly encourage you to not use premium currency as an entrace fee for the reasons I listed earlier. It can be anything you want, otherwise. Heck, use 20 soul stones as your fee during recruitment if you're in need of them. Same reasoning applies. Maybe You need them, maybe you'll liquidate them, maybe you'll use them Smile if you're going after LP, use a 3* unit or 4* monster as your entrance fees. Almost useless on their own, but applicable for your current or possible future needs.

In any case, premium currency is the worst way to attract attention to a raffle. The possibility of a scam is too easy and involves 0 work for the host to turn fees into a usable profit. Use something everyone can easily obtain, but make it something you can liquidate into premium currency, even if its going to take some time for you to do so.

Best of luck in future endeavors Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-Troxx
☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:56 pm

just wanted to say funyuns gave me my te back ^_^
he is a good guy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KrewOwns
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 pm

That's the problem with human nature. We just possibly stopped an honest player from doing an honest raffle. Even if he did "raise" his voice, some people just can't express themselves right online and come off as offensive, when they're not trying to.

I know what everyone is getting at, I personally wouldn't participate, but I wouldn't attack the guy making a raffle in the first place. Also suggesting perma-banning and censoring just for getting a little agitated and looking a little suspicious? What's up with that?

I know this can go two ways, I'm defending a scammer, or an honest person. If we has a scammer then shame on me for being human, but if he was honest shame on the rest of you for jumping on him.

Again I know raffles are a touchy subject when the system in place doesn't really support them, maybe in the future the trade system will support such a thing and we can raffle away. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldoaWillNotMove
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 pm

ITT: Witch-hunting 101

Seriously, this is approaching reddit levels of ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ladabada

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Dude... you just broke the first rule of reddit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KuroStar
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 am

Funyuns wrote:
KuroStar wrote:
Funyuns wrote:
I don't even know what to say anymore. Saying something like this to a person who hasn't done anything wrong? What is wrong with you people? Have you guys never met an honest person before? Though I'm not boasting that I am honest but I'm just trying to do something fun but you guys are just ruining it with some bs skepticism and insecurity.

You haven't even proven that you, yourself are honest.Especially when it comes to online websites, we do not know the other person's identity and personality, its better that we just take precautions ourselves so that we won't regret it.  Don't just say that you are honest, DO IT!

Actions are better than words!

(Albumers should know what am I talking about Razz)

How can I prove that I am honest? tell me

Find that out by yourself. I'm not going to say anything about it.

What are you looking at? Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tentacle Love
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Funyuns wrote:

How can I prove that I am honest? tell me

Ahh, the question every Bernie-Madoff-wannabe has to ask.

Listen, just to be thorough here to help you unnderstand this:

You HAVE to see this from everyone else's point of view in order for your statements to have any merit whatsoever.

From our standpoint, we are risking something of value and have no guarantee that you're being honest, no matter how many times you insist you are.

The only way to fix that is to give us something we can feel confident in. That means something like having a trustworthy, reliable source holding onto everything and making sure that the event is held in good faith. And we'd have to know that we can back out if we change our minds, (which you did, good for you) up to and including right before the raffle occurs.

We would have to see that you would be willing to discuss the problems surrounding the event without you insulting us and insisting that we're wrong (see here's where you went wrong).

And after you see those problems, we'd have to see you do something to fix them or reduce their severity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blargod
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Even if the OP built some rapport with the community, he should know that no one would want to put anyone at that position. This is why no one would a raffle even if they're relatively well known in the forums.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyim

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:55 am

What if we ran a SSS raffle? 1st gets 50%, 2nd and 3rd get 25%, have the numbers picked by a mod on the community that isn't allowed into the raffle? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tattycoram
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 pm

I wasn't going to weigh in on this because, well, its all been said. But am I the only one who LOVES the phrase "oppressive consensus" I mean seriously, I'm incorporating this into my daily life. (Really)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ghost_Star
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:12 am

Tattycoram wrote:
I wasn't going to weigh in on this because, well, its all been said. But am I the only one who LOVES the phrase "oppressive consensus" I mean seriously, I'm incorporating this into my daily life. (Really)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making

nope, seeing the title change made my day. 'OPPRESSVIE CONSENSUS'!!!!!!

for reals though i think that everyone who weighed in here should get the forum title 'part of the oppressive consensus' or something like that... i love the internet, but sometimes i really love the internet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blargod
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Oppressive consensus = oxymoron.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.   Today at 5:17 am

Back to top Go down

Raffle Canceled due to Oppressive Consensus.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2