HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 
 

 To people who buy lots of boxes:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sharpyzu
☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-28
Posts : 220

PostSubject: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Would you buy an Oktavia/Monica/Nina or whatever for 30 dollars, assuming the game sold it?


Last night I had this sudden urge to buy a box, knowing full well that the possibility of getting a 6 is next to nothing, and I probably won't even get a 5.

However, I was really tempted to buy a box.


But today I asked myself, would you pay 30 bucks for a monica? 20? 10?

The answer is very clear to me: NO!

In fact, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would not even pay 3 dollars for a monica or oktavia. Yet I was and am still tempted to buy a both. Why? Is it for the adrenaline rush?


What about you guys? are you also doing it for the suspense? How much would you pay for a 6*?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shokkeru
☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-07
Posts : 211

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm

I feel it's more of a gambling addiction. You pay money for a chance of getting something good. Whether or not that "something good" is worthwhile is up to each individual.

If all the cards were available to just purchase, then the excitement and addiction would just not be there.

That's my 2cents anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crowex
ADMIN


Join date : 2012-08-14
Posts : 554

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I know there's a card game on Kongregate (name escapes me, played it once, realized it was massively one sided for the people with money and quit) that has a special section that after so many wins, you can buy rare cards directly from it.

I only buy boxes for the art work :3

_________________
clocksprocket wrote:
Trust me, my ass is just as nice, but I don't go around wearing just stockings and underwear and thrusting it out at random people.

POPULARITY LIST SEASON TWO, WEEK ONE UNDER WAY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fantasicaunofficial.com
sharpyzu
☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-28
Posts : 220

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Right, but its even beyond normal gambling.

For example, in the big lotteries in Canada, you always find top prizes of millions or even tens of millions. I know there are lotteries in the US, Japan and Germany that even go upwards to a hundred million at times.


For gambling, you normally need a possibility of winning something big, something worth a lot more than the initial paid value.

To give an example, no one would play a lottery where there's 50% chance you lose 10 dollars and 50% chance you lose 50 dollars.

Yet what I'm saying is, even the best prize for a box here, say Oktavia or Monica, I would not actually bother to pay 3 dollars for. I'm sure many people here would be willing to pay 3 dollars though.

So my question is two-hold; it about the effects of gamlbing, but also how much are you willing to pay for a top card?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cam
☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-26
Posts : 743

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Yeah, assuming I was guaranteed a 6* card, it's still not worth $30 to me. I always thought the boxes were a little overpriced.
For $5-$10 I would buy a 6* though [and probably even a 5*]. =]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmrrice



Join date : 2012-09-23
Posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Cam wrote:
Yeah, assuming I was guaranteed a 6* card, it's still not worth $30 to me. I always thought the boxes were a little overpriced.
For $5-$10 I would buy a 6* though [and probably even a 5*]. =]

i agree $30 for a box is too overpriced. $20 is fine by me ^^;
Back to top Go down
View user profile
po1102
War Hero [Rare]


Join date : 2012-09-18
Posts : 1685

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:01 pm

While I always readily spend on my other material collectibles, I don't feel like paying for virtual card lol

And I'm not much of a gambler either, my luck sucks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pnoytroi
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]


Join date : 2012-09-13
Posts : 946

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:16 pm

I buy card packs because I want to, I can afford it and for my own other reasonings:

*ranting*

1.) the thrill of pulling a good card ( like a lottery )
2.) I easily lose interest in current games on platforms (PS3, Xbox, DS, etc.)
A.) Now ask yourself, you paid for a game for those consoles for $XX amount of dollars, now combine all the years you (or your parents) have purchased for those games and how many hours have you put into those games and lost interest? Isn't it equal to the same amount of time/money you might have or already have put in to the game?
3.) If you put down this venue of purchasing something, then wouldn't you be contradicting yourself because you purchase other games on different platforms?

*end ranting*

:-)

_________________
Before you get started, please read the Forum Policies & Information | 6* List: Fenrir. 5* For Sale: None ATM

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sharpyzu
☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-28
Posts : 220

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Well, actually, regarding your point,

I am pretty proud of myself for one thing, and that is, in all my 20 years of life, I have never spent a dime on games. Nor have I made my parents do so.

;)


Anyway, I'm not saying this isn't a valid way to sell their product; I'm simply asking how much people would pay for a 6* given the opportunity. That's all.


EDIT:

However, your logic is not sound. The difference is, with this, you are buying data. Buy buying games, you are buying code. There is a difference.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valhades
☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-09
Posts : 155

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:45 pm

sharpyzu wrote:


However, your logic is not sound. The difference is, with this, you are buying data. Buy buying games, you are buying code. There is a difference.

There is no difference -- You are not buying jack shit. Any game you buy is merely the rights to play the game, you own nothing. Modern development of DRM just further drives the point home.

His logic is 'not sound' simply because it conflicts with your own perceptions? You are a clear example of what is wrong with kids these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sharpyzu
☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-28
Posts : 220

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 pm

[quote="Valhades"]

His logic is 'not sound' [b]simply because it conflicts with your own perceptions[/b]? You are a clear example of what is wrong with kids these days.[/quote]

And where in any of my posts have I mentioned anything vaguely like that? Do you think that using such an abusive and disrespectful tone makes you look like a better person? Do you think that your ad hominem is not an example of what is wrong?

Not only do you use ad hominem, you base your attack on false accusations. If you think that buying code and buying data is the same, you are allowed to express your own ideas and opinion, your own reasoning as to why that is so. Simply accusing me without any evidence whatsoever is not the way a civil debate should be.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cuddytime



Join date : 2012-08-14
Posts : 135

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 pm

silicon planned out the card system very well imo....

it exploits how our brains are wired to make certain decisions and exploits the logical side of our brain

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jdelmundo



Join date : 2012-08-24
Posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 pm

sharpyzu wrote:
Well, actually, regarding your point,

I am pretty proud of myself for one thing, and that is, in all my 20 years of life, I have never spent a dime on games. Nor have I made my parents do so.

Wink


Anyway, I'm not saying this isn't a valid way to sell their product; I'm simply asking how much people would pay for a 6* given the opportunity. That's all.


EDIT:

However, your logic is not sound. The difference is, with this, you are buying data. Buy buying games, you are buying code. There is a difference.


Are you proud of not spending money or are you more proud trying to advertise your disdain for people that do pay for boxes? I'm fine spending money for a digital product. It's not the first or not the last. That impulse of yours where you wanted to buy a box but didn't comes from wanting a better deck. Some of us are willing to pay for it. None of us care whether you buy a box or not. We'll do you the courtesy of not caring if you do us the favor of not disguising your posts as a way to rant about people that purchase boxes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clocksprocket
Commando Chicklet [EPIC]


Join date : 2012-08-17
Posts : 1395

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Guys, let's keep it civil, or I may have to lock this thread or start warning people.

Also, no talk of piracy. I don't think never paying for a game is something to be proud of -- if you got enjoyment out of games (and I am assuming some of them were pay-to-play games) then supporting developers is, you know, a good thing.

Let's bring it back to the original question. Would I pay $30 for a card?

In my opinion, $30 for a box is too fucking expensive. Yet I gambled anyway (that's how gambling addiction gets you) to the tune of $250 and counting. If I knew my luck was this bad and I had a chance to buy a rare for $30, would I have?

Yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wadtomaton



Join date : 2012-09-23
Posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 pm

I'd pay $30 in a heart beat knowing I got a 6 star. Hell I'd pay $30 for a 5 or 6 star at random. Really the fact that you can pay for packs and get a 2 star is pretty crazy. Then again I've been playing tcgs for almost 20 years now, so I've been paying lots of money for dumb stuff for a really long time lol. At least with physical games you can always sell the cards but generally you still don't come out ahead on that.

Personally I think this game would be a lot more fair to it's players if they had a scheme that went something like this:

brave pack - mostly 2 and 3 star, with a chance at a 4 star
premium pack - 4 star minimum, chance at 5 or 6 star
1500 coin box - better chance of 5 or 6 star
3000 coin box - at least 1 5 or 6 star guaranteed

and 1 stars you'd only get through training.

they'd probably end up making more money in the end too because more people would be willing to spend in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gunzlinger
Gravedigger [Retired]


Join date : 2012-09-20
Posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Except that demand for the better ones would go down, because you can usually make do in almost any stage with a high-tier 4*.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cuddytime



Join date : 2012-08-14
Posts : 135

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:42 pm

i think for brave packs it would be awesome if you got a chance to draw a 5* or a six * (at a very low low chance)... would give some of the players who don't want to spend money on this game hope and increase popularity...

also, premium packs should be 3 star guaranteed.. no one wnats to pay $3 bucks for a 2*
1500 & 3000 packs are priced well imo, but they need to have more 4*'s in the mix... (i once got 6 2*, 7 3*, and 1 4* from a pack... wtf??)

i also think a lot of players in the game would even pay triple digits of real dollar money to be guaranteed a 6*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
profile4
Tyrant of the End [LEGENDARY]


Join date : 2012-09-14
Posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the way packs gives out certain rarities. Go figure.

As for paying 30$ for a 6*? Hell yes I would. Think about all of the time/luck you could cut out by doing that! One 6* and I'll be happy for life. (as long as it is female)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoire
Android Savior [LEGENDARY]


Join date : 2012-09-19
Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Just adding onto what cuddytime was saying, premium tickets are pretty easy to obtain from events and the login bonus if you play regularly. That's one way of getting a shot at a 5* card without having to pay. Unfortunately, the latter is ending soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vanillaangel.deviantart.com
Cam
☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-26
Posts : 743

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 pm

pnoytroi wrote:
I buy card packs because I want to, I can afford it and for my own other reasonings:

*ranting*

1.) the thrill of pulling a good card ( like a lottery )
2.) I easily lose interest in current games on platforms (PS3, Xbox, DS, etc.)
A.) Now ask yourself, you paid for a game for those consoles for $XX amount of dollars, now combine all the years you (or your parents) have purchased for those games and how many hours have you put into those games and lost interest? Isn't it equal to the same amount of time/money you might have or already have put in to the game?
3.) If you put down this venue of purchasing something, then wouldn't you be contradicting yourself because you purchase other games on different platforms?

*end ranting*

:-)

There are a lot good games out there that are $30 or less. The boxes give you a low chance at something good, whereas other games give you what you want upfront. This is why I haven't spent the same amount on virtual cards as I have on console games. [Being a broke college student is another =p]
I don't think anyone here is putting down anyone that has spent money on boxes. I for one thank those of you who paid for boxes because it means we all get to enjoy the game longer. If I ever have the money to spend on 'lotteries' then I will be sure to support this game. =]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
memphiskite
Battalion General [LEGENDARY]


Join date : 2012-09-15
Posts : 1751

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:55 pm

You're thanking me? But I feel like I'm throwing my cash around like it was nothing....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.memphiskite.deviantart.com
cuddytime



Join date : 2012-08-14
Posts : 135

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 am

what? i thought we were all multi-billionaire trust fund kids playing this game! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sharpyzu
☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-28
Posts : 220

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:07 am

[quote="jdelmundo"][quote="sharpyzu"]Well, actually, regarding your point,

I am pretty proud of myself for one thing, and that is, in all my 20 years of life, I have never spent a dime on games. Nor have I made my parents do so.

;)


Anyway, I'm not saying this isn't a valid way to sell their product; I'm simply asking how much people would pay for a 6* given the opportunity. That's all.


EDIT:

However, your logic is not sound. The difference is, with this, you are buying data. Buy buying games, you are buying code. There is a difference.

[/quote]

Are you proud of not spending money or are you more proud trying to advertise your disdain for people that do pay for boxes? I'm fine spending money for a digital product. It's not the first or not the last. That impulse of yours where you wanted to buy a box but didn't comes from wanting a better deck. Some of us are willing to pay for it. None of us care whether you buy a box or not. We'll do you the courtesy of not caring if you do us the favor of not disguising your posts as a way to rant about people that purchase boxes.[/quote]


@ clocksprocket:
I never mentioned anything about piracy. There are plenty of f2p games out there that one does not need to pay or pirate in order to have a gaming experience.

Now, I have to clarify myself. First of all, I'm neither proud of not spending money nor "trying to advertise [my] disdain for people that do pay for boxes". More on this second point later.

What I am proud of is, I was able to hold off my temptation so many times, that as I was and still am in the care of my parents (University is already so expensive), that I did not waste so much of their money on something they dislike. Indeed, most asian parents are against kids playing games, I knew of many kids who are not allowed to even touch the computer other than doing school work back in highschool. Perhaps my experiences are different from you guys, but I grew up knowing that games are bad for you, they waste time and I felt guilty playing games already, let alone paying for them. Indeed, I also knew of kids who did spend hundreds of dollars on gaming; and they weren't even rich; you could see how frustrated their parents were even while trying to hide their embarassment as is usual in the asian culture, trying to save face. If I really wanted to spend money on games, would my parents let me? Yes. Once I was looking at some games in the store so intently that my mom felt so bad she offered to buy me a game. Still, I know that games are ultimately just games, they may be fun for the moment but in terms of hurting my future and my parents, its not worth it.

That said, I am absolutely NOT trying to advertise my disdain for people that do pay for boxes; I am absolutely bewildered by how you can come up with such a conclusion. Please quote me in what I said that made you think this way please, I don't remember saying anything disrespectful about people who buy boxes. If I did, I am sorry.

I am thankful to people who buy boxes on multiple levels. Surely if I was to make good money in the future I would spend a few dollars on games as well, if anything just to support a game. I study computer science and statistics. Though the codes and programs I write and debug are thousands of times simpler than the MMORPGs out there, I have already experienced firsthand the tedious process of debugging, and thinking of how to most optimally write your program. The thousands of man-hours put into writing these programs surely deserve to be rewarded.

If no one paid for these games, no one would make them, and no one would get to play them. If no one bought boxes, I would never have a chance at obtaining a 5* or 6*, ever. I thank the people who do support the game, there is no way I'm compalining about them.

I honestly truly just intended to ask whether people would buy 6*s for 30 dollars; it seems curious to me because I feel that not as many people would straight up buy a 6* for 30 dollars, and I wanted to confirm my suspicion. I thank those who have answered my post on topic, and I what I wrote I truly how I feel. I hope my sincerity can get through to you, I don't want to use ad hominem against anyone. This is a game, we play it to have fun, not to angerly argue against each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myad
☆☆☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-10-01
Posts : 1038

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 am

think about this... ya, i think it is actually the thrill that makes people spend money... it is not about paying for thr 6* but rather... the process... paying for it... getting excited when you open the card... and then gettting upset... or happy when you do get a 6*.

i guess u can say its paying for the adrenalin rush.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myad
☆☆☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-10-01
Posts : 1038

PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:21 am

Stoire wrote:
Just adding onto what cuddytime was saying, premium tickets are pretty easy to obtain from events and the login bonus if you play regularly. That's one way of getting a shot at a 5* card without having to pay. Unfortunately, the latter is ending soon.
sorry, but just wanna confirm... does the premium tickets actually give a person a change to even get a 5*?!? i mean... 0.00000001% is still a chance but from what i understand, the *free* premium tickets... the highest one can get is only a 3*.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: To people who buy lots of boxes:   Today at 9:16 pm

Back to top Go down
 
To people who buy lots of boxes:
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Amal arriving in Italy today with lots of boxes!!
» People who donated to the March/April fund raiser for Urth
» this funny Indian people
» Hey, people! Here I am! Vanesa, from Argentina!
» Ultracast British Empire Munition Boxes B166

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fantasica :: Game Discussion-
Jump to: