HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 

Units with 'mismatched' types

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
vul
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Units with 'mismatched' types   Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 am

MythSearcher wrote:
I can almost immediatedly name a few quite famous and popular ones that are not.

I agree, it's just bad TL on localization's part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timed
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Units with 'mismatched' types   Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:23 am

MythSearcher wrote:
Timed wrote:
It's probably because in anime short hair = tomboy

I can almost immediatedly name a few quite famous and popular ones that are not.
For example,
Evangelion's Ayanami have short hair.
Card Captor Sakura's Sakura is not a tomboy.
There go the first and third Loli Queens in Anime(the second is Ruri in Nadesico, twin tail)
Sailor Mercury is the smart and quiet type but is the only short hair in the first main 5.(least tomboy-ish character)
Love Hina, the shy girl Shinobu got short hair.
The Ayanami Rei's clone characters like the one in Zero no tsukaima and Haruhi(don't even remember their names) have same hair colour and personality like Rei.

Granted, I like long hair girls, but it is quite seldom that short hair is stereo-typed as tomboy in anime.
(tomboys are usually short hair, but not the other way around.)

Also, Holly seems to have her long hair tugged inside her armour, instead of having short hair.

I can't believe I'm going to argue this but

but all the characters you have mentioned have tomboy aspects to their characters

I'll refer to tomboy using the Tvtropes definition

1. your using ice queens against me?? they are more tomboyish them most
2. Sakura's Sakura has girls that love her due to her boyish nature.
3. Sailor Mercury (nerds are considered to be tomboys)
4. Shinobu has a Bob Haircut, the true short hair character is Mitsune "Kitsune" Konno thus the tomboy
5. Tabitha (Ice queen)
6. I'm not sure with Haruhi you mean (one form Ouran High School Host Club is a tomboy)
if you are talking about Yuki Nagato from Haruhi Suzumiya (she's probably the most tomboyish ice queen there is)

I guess this depends on your definition of tomboy that really depends whether you see them as tomboys or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MythSearcher
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Units with 'mismatched' types   Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am

Timed wrote:
MythSearcher wrote:
Timed wrote:
It's probably because in anime short hair = tomboy

For example,
Evangelion's Ayanami have short hair.
Card Captor Sakura's Sakura is not a tomboy.
There go the first and third Loli Queens in Anime(the second is Ruri in Nadesico, twin tail)
Sailor Mercury is the smart and quiet type but is the only short hair in the first main 5.(least tomboy-ish character)
Love Hina, the shy girl Shinobu got short hair.
The Ayanami Rei's clone characters like the one in Zero no tsukaima and Haruhi(don't even remember their names) have same hair colour and personality like Rei.

Granted, I like long hair girls, but it is quite seldom that short hair is stereo-typed as tomboy in anime.
(tomboys are usually short hair, but not the other way around.)

Also, Holly seems to have her long hair tugged inside her armour, instead of having short hair.

I can't believe I'm going to argue this but

but all the characters you have mentioned have tomboy aspects to their characters

I'll refer to tomboy using the Tvtropes definition

1. your using ice queens against me?? they are more tomboyish them most
2. Sakura's Sakura has girls that love her due to her boyish nature.
3. Sailor Mercury (nerds are considered to be tomboys)
4. Shinobu has a Bob Haircut, the true short hair character is Mitsune "Kitsune" Konno thus the tomboy
5. Tabitha (Ice queen)
6. I'm not sure with Haruhi you mean (one form Ouran High School Host Club is a tomboy)
if you are talking about Yuki Nagato from Haruhi Suzumiya (she's probably the most tomboyish ice queen there is)

I guess this depends on your definition of tomboy that really depends whether you see them as tomboys or not.

In Japanese moe definition, tomboy is strictly different from those speechless characters(無口むくちmukuchi).
Notice the very virtue of a Yamato Nadesico is to keep quiet and stay quiet.

The Ayanami Rei stereo type likes to read, more specifically, literature, which is an interest considered a female virtue, instead of a boy's interest, like sports, science, etc.
This type is different from the ice queen, which is a different classification in moe-ology. An ice queen is a person that are cold at heart, Rei type is more like not knowing how to interact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timed
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Units with 'mismatched' types   Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 pm

MythSearcher wrote:

In Japanese moe definition, tomboy is strictly different from those speechless characters(無口むくちmukuchi).

The Ayanami Rei stereo type likes to read, more specifically, literature, which is an interest considered a female virtue, instead of a boy's interest, like sports, science, etc.
This type is different from the ice queen, which is a different classification in moe-ology. An ice queen is a person that are cold at heart, Rei type is more like not knowing how to interact.

well if you use the word tomboy I'll assume you mean the western definition of a girl that does activities typically associated with boys

I think what you are looking for is a kuudere in moe-ology (most are assumed cold at heart by have the dere side)(an ice queen is half of the personality of a Kuudere)

Now with rei if you take it from the jap side a kuudere is much more tomboyish then most other archetypes due to they will take the lead and have a strong presence (The kuudere is only quiet due to they don't have anything to say) much unlike the Yamato Nadesico that is quiet to allow the male to take the lead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MythSearcher
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Units with 'mismatched' types   Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Timed wrote:
MythSearcher wrote:

well if you use the word tomboy I'll assume you mean the western definition of a girl that does activities typically associated with boys

I think what you are looking for is a kuudere in moe-ology (most are assumed cold at heart by have the dere side)(an ice queen is half of the personality of a Kuudere)

Now with rei if you take it from the jap side a kuudere is much more tomboyish then most other archetypes due to they will take the lead and have a strong presence (The kuudere is only quiet due to they don't have anything to say) much unlike the Yamato Nadesico that is quiet to allow the male to take the lead.

There is one thing though, Cooldere type is not even established a while after Rei's appearance(the whole moe thing wasn't even started)
The type Rei started is the mukuchi, meaning the type that seldom speak.
Cooldere can talk quite a bit, just show little emotion in them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
predator852
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]

PostSubject: Re: Units with 'mismatched' types   Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 am

sGabe4 wrote:
Timed wrote:
Alexander is a 6* ....

DING DING DING we have a winner!!!! Very Happy

LOL this literally made my day! Same thing with Fiona

Wanna Know What I Do In My Free Time? Click here

Back to top Go down