HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 
 

 Sprites!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Brokenluckx3
☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-13
Posts : 253

PostSubject: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Thought Id start a discussion about sprites cat

What are your favorites,least favorites, things you've noticed? etc

I like ones that have wings so instead of just bobbing up and down they have cute little wings to flap.
I also like the blood on Charl's scythe I think thats a nice touch.
I think it's funny I dont like Ruya's art very much but I like her sprite is adorable
&
the reason i made this topic(even though it fits more in the 'things that make you lol' topic) was because when Zhou Yu's sprite attack he lifts his 2 swords and between them it looks like he has a giant flailing tongue, he looks like lickitoungue XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Murrowk



Join date : 2012-12-28
Posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm

I noticed that sprites are flipped, and not made to face the other way. So you often see right-handed swordsmen switch to left handed when looking the other direction.

Or simply Virgil's closed eye is open when he's facing the other way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lmnseason
☆☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-22
Posts : 941

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Murrowk wrote:
I noticed that sprites are flipped, and not made to face the other way. So you often see right-handed swordsmen switch to left handed when looking the other direction.

Or simply Virgil's closed eye is open when he's facing the other way.

Many games do this because it is time consuming to make sprites. I was making custom sprites before for an amateur game design and boy it was time consuming. I later on quit with the creation on the game due to the lack of time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bleachcosplay
☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-29
Posts : 456

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Things that annoy me in sprites:
  • The stupid axe that some of the Full Metal units have
  • How winged units have the same looking wings (at least for the ones I've seen)
  • Remika's hair(it looks so much cooler in the artwork)
  • The blood lizard sprite (it looks stupid)
  • How the ravenous bear looks nothing like a bear(doesn't actually annoy me, it's just kind of weird)


Elizabeth's sprite is pretty cool.
I wonder if Vine is upside down in her sprite as well?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
themadmanazn
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]


Join date : 2012-11-26
Posts : 1716

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:21 pm

bleachcosplay wrote:
Things that annoy me in sprites:
  • The stupid axe that some of the Full Metal units have
  • How winged units have the same looking wings (at least for the ones I've seen)
  • Remika's hair(it looks so much cooler in the artwork)
  • The blood lizard sprite (it looks stupid)
  • How the ravenous bear looks nothing like a bear(doesn't actually annoy me, it's just kind of weird)


Elizabeth's sprite is pretty cool.
I wonder if Vine is upside down in her sprite as well?


Vine sprite is not her laying down (upside down) unfortunately.

_________________
My Albuming and Trading Corner

Quote :
[19:59:06] Varis : madman is correct

Quote :
[15:09:58] hereticloki : madman is fair

Quote :
[12:39:12] @ Crowex : Azn is right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
po1102
War Hero [Rare]


Join date : 2012-09-18
Posts : 1685

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Fav sprites:
- Emma: absolute cuteness <3
- Grem: she runs tip-toe in training omg <3
- Eliz and Constance: really cool sprites
- Fenrir: love her claws, her glowing eye, her tail <3
- Reve: much cuter than her art
- Succubus: another cute sprite <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pandalicious



Join date : 2012-10-26
Posts : 123

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 pm

anyone who has seen 6* gloria will bow to that sprite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Piggers
☆☆


Join date : 2012-12-28
Posts : 261

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 pm

I think the artist(s) do a really good job on the sprites for the most part. What drives me CRAZY sometimes is that some of the sprites seem to have been saved/put into the game as the wrong file-type (probably by SS). Because of this some of the sprites are blurred, which removes most of the point of making crisp pixel art in the first place!

If you don't know what I'm talking about here's a quick screenshot. Don't just look at the outside edges of the sprite, but on the inside as well.



Its a bit annoying and more noticeable for me too since I've made (and could make if I wasn't so busy...) lots of game pixel art myself. Here's an example of my stuff:



See? Pixel Art is supposed to look crisp and clean! GAH! haha sorry for the rant, but it was one of the first things I noticed playing Fantasica. So in summary, save your art (particularly pixel art...) as uncompressed png Silicon studios!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
memphiskite
Battalion General [LEGENDARY]


Join date : 2012-09-15
Posts : 1751

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Piggers wrote:
What drives me CRAZY sometimes is that some of the sprites seem to have been saved/put into the game as the wrong file-type (probably by SS). Because of this some of the sprites are blurred, which removes most of the point of making crisp pixel art in the first place!

I've noticed that too and god, it irritates me too!
Is it too hard to notice the difference between how crisp two specific sprites look before you release them to the public?
I can't help but think SS is a little 'unprofessional' with their work now...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.memphiskite.deviantart.com
themadmanazn
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]


Join date : 2012-11-26
Posts : 1716

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 pm

You guys playing on tablets? I didn't notice the blurry vs crisp sprites until I started playing on a tablet.

_________________
My Albuming and Trading Corner

Quote :
[19:59:06] Varis : madman is correct

Quote :
[15:09:58] hereticloki : madman is fair

Quote :
[12:39:12] @ Crowex : Azn is right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
memphiskite
Battalion General [LEGENDARY]


Join date : 2012-09-15
Posts : 1751

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Really? The game looks different on a tablet?

I dont have enough reasons to make me want to get a tablet for myself other than games and web browsing and.... games...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.memphiskite.deviantart.com
lmnseason
☆☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-22
Posts : 941

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 pm

The ones with a blurry pixel have a higher resolution than the ones with visible pixels. The blur is a smooth result of a high pixel rate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
predator852
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]


Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1326

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:53 pm

I said this a while back, but I've seen achillias sprite, so when I saw Elizabeth's art I was like wow, I can pretty much guess how her sprite is gonna be.

Then I see her sprite and the blade is behind her back...WTF!
(I still like the sprite though...)

_________________


Wanna Know What I Do In My Free Time? Click here

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brokenluckx3
☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-13
Posts : 253

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:07 pm

bleachcosplay wrote:
  • How winged units have the same looking wings (at least for the ones I've seen)
Since I have absolutely no life(obviously lol) I decided to get a bunch of screenshots of all the winged units I could lol to show you that most of them are pretty different actually..
Bird & Mary have similar ones
and Felicia & Estlin's are similar too but besides for them..





Yea, I need a job... heh Laughing

Piggers wrote:
Its a bit annoying and more noticeable for me too since I've made (and could make if I wasn't so busy...) lots of game pixel art myself. Here's an example of my stuff:
You're work is awesome ^_^
I couldnt go without saying that, I wish i could do that, im seriously jealous

memphiskite wrote:
Really? The game looks different on a tablet?

I dont have enough reasons to make me want to get a tablet for myself other than games and web browsing and.... games...

So different! Idk how people play on their tiny little phone screens! I think the game looks perfect on my 7in tablet =]

themadmanazn wrote:
bleachcosplay wrote:

I wonder if Vine is upside down in her sprite as well?

Vine sprite is not her laying down (upside down) unfortunately.

I would love to see a screenshot of her sprite if anyone can get that! and is still reading this rediculously big post =P


Last edited by Brokenluckx3 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frission



Join date : 2013-01-05
Posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Favorite sprites so far would have to be Nine tails unit(the cuteness!), Anastasia, Ghost (Halloween unit), Emma, Diane, Sleipner(u), and that's all that comes to mind at the moment. The sheer cuteness of Nine tails unit is overpowering. She's my favorite so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sketchedexistence.deviantart.com
predator852
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]


Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1326

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Ater has wings too??? ME WANTS!!!!!!!!!

_________________


Wanna Know What I Do In My Free Time? Click here

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bleachcosplay
☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-29
Posts : 456

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:42 am

Brokenluckx3 wrote:
bleachcosplay wrote:
  • How winged units have the same looking wings (at least for the ones I've seen)
Since I have absolutely no life(obviously lol) I decided to get a bunch of screenshots of all the winged units I could lol to show you that most of them are pretty different actually..
Bird & Mary have similar ones
and Felicia & Estlin's are similar too but besides for them..

Lol. Alright, I concede defeat. You've convinced me otherwise.
The only units that I had seen were Dorothea and Remika. And since they looked almost the same, I had assumed that all winged unit sprites looked the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rourou1423
☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-03
Posts : 171

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 am

I notice.. the sprite of rabid wolf look like rats.. it didn't give me a clue of 'wolf' lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brokenluckx3
☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-13
Posts : 253

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 am

bleachcosplay wrote:

Lol. Alright, I concede defeat. You've convinced me otherwise.
The only units that I had seen were Dorothea and Remika. And since they looked almost the same, I had assumed that all winged unit sprites looked the same.


i wins ^_^ lol i guess you dont go for the cute little fairy cards? XD

rourou1423 wrote:
I notice.. the sprite of rabid wolf look like rats.. it didn't give me a clue of 'wolf' lol Very Happy
omg yes, they remind me of rats in Donkey Kong Country 2!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callanthe
☆☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-12-09
Posts : 764

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

The sprites of ravenous bears look like brown gorillas ._.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChibiLeen
☆☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-12
Posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:21 pm

From the sprites I've seen so far, Elizabeth is my absolute favourite. She's a jewel of sprite-work: crisp, with well coordinated, vibrant colours and great shading, and she doesn't have any of that blocky, pixelated feel that some units have.

I really like Vine's sprite too. A shame that she isn't upside down, but her wings and hair are beautifully rendered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bleachcosplay
☆☆☆


Join date : 2012-09-29
Posts : 456

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Brokenluckx3 wrote:
i wins ^_^ lol i guess you dont go for the cute little fairy cards? XD
Psh, who doesn't love cute little fairy cards?
Interstingly enough, I have four of the cards in the images.
I mentioned Remika.
I also have Fur Fur, but I totally forgot that she has wings.
I have a Level 1 Partenope from a Premium Ticket, but she's probably been sitting in my inbox for 2 months now. I'll get to her eventually.
I recently got a Mary from someone for free because they were quitting(I was super stoked).


I'm not quite sure who this is. I'm thinking Serafina.

I'm trying to imagine what Vine's sprite would look like upside down. Would she attack like a Hitmontop?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bells



Join date : 2012-12-16
Posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah, Elizabeth rocks.

I also like the snowball throwing Lucy, and sprites that have moving facial expression, like Elena and Melanippe. Elena's color is not good, but she closes her eyes when casting her spell, which is very cute. Oh, and Claudio too.

Jormungand's sprite is real disappointment for me, a realy pity since her card is so awesome.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brokenluckx3
☆☆


Join date : 2012-11-13
Posts : 253

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:05 pm

bleachcosplay wrote:
Brokenluckx3 wrote:
i wins ^_^ lol i guess you dont go for the cute little fairy cards? XD
Psh, who doesn't love cute little fairy cards?
Interstingly enough, I have four of the cards in the images.
I mentioned Remika.
I also have Fur Fur, but I totally forgot that she has wings.
I have a Level 1 Partenope from a Premium Ticket, but she's probably been sitting in my inbox for 2 months now. I'll get to her eventually.
I recently got a Mary from someone for free because they were quitting(I was super stoked).


I'm not quite sure who this is. I'm thinking Serafina.

I'm trying to imagine what Vine's sprite would look like upside down. Would she attack like a Hitmontop?

Lucky you about free mary! and yes thats serafina, who I got for free because someone was quitting, i think, or maybe they just didnt use her and felt bad about me getting scammed idk.
I want Furfur, idk why i just love her & her sprite ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
po1102
War Hero [Rare]


Join date : 2012-09-18
Posts : 1685

PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 pm

bleachcosplay wrote:
I'm trying to imagine what Vine's sprite would look like upside down. Would she attack like a Hitmontop?



Now flip your monitor~

ChibiLeen wrote:
From the sprites I've seen so far, Elizabeth is my absolute favourite. She's a jewel of sprite-work: crisp, with well coordinated, vibrant colours and great shading, and she doesn't have any of that blocky, pixelated feel that some units have.

I really like Vine's sprite too. A shame that she isn't upside down, but her wings and hair are beautifully rendered.

Wait for this!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Sprites!   Today at 9:09 am

Back to top Go down
 
Sprites!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» RMXP = Mini Mortal Kombat Sprites
» RMXP + XAS = ABS Sprites!
» Sailor Moon Perler bead sprites on Etsy
» Mega Sprites
» Free running sprites

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fantasica :: Game Discussion-
Jump to: