HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 

Where to start in the Gundam anime?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crowex
ADMIN

PostSubject: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Where do I start in Gundam? I watched a few episodes way back in the day but I have no clue on where to start. Any help from our anime friends?

Also, recommend me some "spooky" monsters for my defense on Fantasica! 3*s and up would be great!

POPULARITY LIST SEASON TWO, WEEK ONE UNDER WAY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fantasicaunofficial.com
aszutai
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Hum, Gundam Wing is where I started. 08th MS team is always good as well. Personally I'm more of a fan of the newer gen Gundams like Gundam Seed (stay away from destiny) or Gundam 00. If you enjoy the old school anime style better then I recommend Gundam Unicorn which is surprisingly good despite the silly name lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.genbustudios.com
Xzaral
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Without looking anything up, isn't Gundam Wing outside the mainstream Gundam universe? If I recall, the Amuro Rei one (that could also be horribly mispelled) was the original, 08th MS was in the same universe. After that, I'm real uncertain.

On that though, I did like Gundam Wing and would recommend it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FastfoodJesus
Peace Keeper [Retired]

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 pm

I enjoyed Gundam Seed a fair amount, but that was the first Gundam I ever saw. I would also agree on skipping Gundam Seed Destiny (Very lacking)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aszutai
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Xzaral wrote:
Without looking anything up, isn't Gundam Wing outside the mainstream Gundam universe? If I recall, the Amuro Rei one (that could also be horribly mispelled) was the original, 08th MS was in the same universe. After that, I'm real uncertain.

On that though, I did like Gundam Wing and would recommend it.

Yes, Gundam Wing, Seed, 00 are all outside the original gundam universe. Where as 08th MS Team and Unicorn are in the Univeral Century Timeline. Oh there's G Gundam too, now for that show I must post this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZpa9RF9aj4&feature=related
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.genbustudios.com
DoctorCoffee

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:45 am

Okaaaay.. I completely missed on a GUNDAM thread?? :p

Crow, here's the lowdown: what kind of MECHA action are you after? Something melodramatic? something hyper-sci-fi? something artsy? something old-school super-robot?

Gundam is not as much a series as it is a GENRE. And it is split into TWO main types: the Universal Century and the Alternative Universe(s). Basically, UC and AU.

UC is basically any Gundam story, anime or manga, that follows the canon chronology of the first Gundam series aired bay in 1978 (the old-school one with Amuro, the RX-78-2, Zakus, Char, Zeon, etc). It goes all the way up to Z, ZZ, V, F91, Unicorn, and so forth (I'll get to those later). Now, while the story has continuity, starting with ZZ even if you have not watched Z is not an issue. UC spans a timeline of at more than 50 years.

Alternate Universe is any of the many non-UC storylines that are pretty much independent stories on thier own. Each AU series can be watched independently of each other.

Now, I'm gonna be board flooding if I introduce you to ALL the Gundam anime released (and that's even not mentioning all the manga-only and novel-only ones). So I'll group together the ones that are worth viewing together in batches.

---------------------------------------------------

Universal Century Starter Set: watch ALL 3 Gundam movies. and then watch Char's Counterattack

Pros: you get to see how it all begun, you will LOVE Capt. Noa. And you will finally get all those silly red and 3x faster jokes.

Cons: remastered 1978 animations look pretty surreal at times.

Okay, if you want to watch 43 episodes of the original 1978 episodes, go ahead. But my suggestion, watch the movies that were released from '81-'83. The animation has been updated and everything is much better paced -also, you get to accomplish the whole story. The best part is, topping it all off with CCA. Do know that CCA was aired in the 1990's, which means that the animation has been greatly improved since then.

Anyway, I recommend this if you want to understand the true soul of the series, and if you do this, you will see that there are plenty of elements/events/characters/etc in all of the Gundam shows that allude to the events of the original.

--------------------------------------

Gritty Wartime Movies-fest: MS Igloo, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, and 08th MS Team

Pros: if you love war-stories. there is no better combo than this.

Cons: if you hate war-stories. move on to the next

Universal Century is a story about war (well, almost all Gundam stories are about war anyway), but this ones remind us all that wars are not just determined by battles of aces. Wars are also about the battles of the grunts on the frontlines. MS Igloo is a special one among the set since it is done in pure CG. The cinematography is akin to that of war movies and the action is nothing short of gritty and intense. The rest are anime. And of course, all of the above have rather tragic stories

----------------------------------------------------

The Anime Side of US: Gundam Z, Gundam ZZ, V Gundam, Gundam F91

Pros: explains the more fictional-aspects of the Gundam UC canon -particularly about all the hoopla for Newtypes and psycho-frames and of course, the really emotionally-broken artificial newtypes.

Cons: a little cheesey at times, and if you have seen plenty of anime, the plots seem predictable -you will have to remind yourself that these may be the original inspirations though

For the more traditional anime fan, this is the set to watch. The formula for these ones are pretty standard for those of you who have seen plenty of other anime. But yes, expect some campy plots and also, silly 80's music (though I love the OPs for V and the theme song for F91). that being said, this is still the UC Gundam series so expect some tragic character deaths to get thrown in a lot.

---------------------------------------

Unicorn LOLz: Gundam UC

Pros: this is Universal Century, but really modern, and even if you skip everything else, the show tries to explain stuff. If you watched much of the earlier stuff, some of the things that appear here will be easy to identify.

Cons: hard to appreciate the homage to the old series when this is what you start with. Also, some of the foreshadowing devices make no sense if you have no clue what happened in UC.

This OVA series just came out a while back. The animation is superb, the characters are intriguing, and the story has pretty good impact. The mech design is kinda iffy at times, and yes, pink energy waves really isn't all that manly. that being said, this return to the old series closes up some of the loose ends from the older shows.

-------------------------------------

The new Anime Trifecta: Gundam G, Gundam W, and Gundam X

G Gundam is all about super-robot style, hot-blooded manly fighting. Imagine Dragonball meets Gundam. I recommend seeing this just for the sheer fun of watching robots do over-the-top special attacks on each other.

Gundam W is a nice take on the original space vs earth theme of the original series. The mech designs are pretty unique and are easy to appreciate. If you end up liking this, I suggest watching the OVA or movie of Wing, Endless Waltz. that one features mech re-designs from Hajime Katoki which are really awesome.

Gundam X is a great show, but it was cut short -so the ending is a little compact. That being said, it is a pretty unique story that is not as massive in scope as the other series, but at the same time, is able to focus a lot on character growth for most of the cast.

----------------------------------------------

Yes, SEED: Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny

Uh.. okay. Well, the only reason I would recommend this is ONLY if you want to know what the hell people are talking about when they bring up Jesus Kira, or why Shinn is such a wuss. Honestly speaking, you can forget about this series and save yourself the trouble by just reading some summary online.

---------------------------------------------

I am Gundam LOL: Gundam 0 and 00 and the Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer movie

Gundam 0/00 has shades of Wing and the original UC storyline, which is nice. The art is modern and the mech designs are pretty nice too. Storywise, this one brings together many of the elements you would find in almost all the shows and tries to bring it together -and then after it does exactly that, it tries to step out of the box even further. Telling you why would be a massive spoiler though.

And that's it, I didn't bring up Gunpla Builders since that's more of a hobbyist show than it is for general anime fans. If you're interested in certain batch or certain show that I mentioned above and you would like me to go into detail about it. Feel free to ask me further. ^_^

That being said, I hope you guys enjoyed what I wrote so far.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crowex
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Dear God Coffee o.0

POPULARITY LIST SEASON TWO, WEEK ONE UNDER WAY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fantasicaunofficial.com
memphiskite
Battalion General [LEGENDARY]

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:33 pm

It's not that much. It's a pretty good series.

Although... I have yet to watch it all in order...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.memphiskite.deviantart.com
onidis

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 am

DoctorCoffee wrote:
ALL THE WORDS

Basically, The Doctor nailed it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chris58jo

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:13 am

DoctorCoffee wrote:
Okaaaay.. I completely missed on a GUNDAM thread?? :p

Crow, here's the lowdown: what kind of MECHA action are you after? Something melodramatic? something hyper-sci-fi? something artsy? something old-school super-robot?

Gundam is not as much a series as it is a GENRE. And it is split into TWO main types: the Universal Century and the Alternative Universe(s). Basically, UC and AU.

UC is basically any Gundam story, anime or manga, that follows the canon chronology of the first Gundam series aired bay in 1978 (the old-school one with Amuro, the RX-78-2, Zakus, Char, Zeon, etc). It goes all the way up to Z, ZZ, V, F91, Unicorn, and so forth (I'll get to those later). Now, while the story has continuity, starting with ZZ even if you have not watched Z is not an issue. UC spans a timeline of at more than 50 years.

Alternate Universe is any of the many non-UC storylines that are pretty much independent stories on thier own. Each AU series can be watched independently of each other.

Now, I'm gonna be board flooding if I introduce you to ALL the Gundam anime released (and that's even not mentioning all the manga-only and novel-only ones). So I'll group together the ones that are worth viewing together in batches.

---------------------------------------------------

Universal Century Starter Set: watch ALL 3 Gundam movies. and then watch Char's Counterattack

Pros: you get to see how it all begun, you will LOVE Capt. Noa. And you will finally get all those silly red and 3x faster jokes.

Cons: remastered 1978 animations look pretty surreal at times.

Okay, if you want to watch 43 episodes of the original 1978 episodes, go ahead. But my suggestion, watch the movies that were released from '81-'83. The animation has been updated and everything is much better paced -also, you get to accomplish the whole story. The best part is, topping it all off with CCA. Do know that CCA was aired in the 1990's, which means that the animation has been greatly improved since then.

Anyway, I recommend this if you want to understand the true soul of the series, and if you do this, you will see that there are plenty of elements/events/characters/etc in all of the Gundam shows that allude to the events of the original.

--------------------------------------

Gritty Wartime Movies-fest: MS Igloo, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, and 08th MS Team

Pros: if you love war-stories. there is no better combo than this.

Cons: if you hate war-stories. move on to the next

Universal Century is a story about war (well, almost all Gundam stories are about war anyway), but this ones remind us all that wars are not just determined by battles of aces. Wars are also about the battles of the grunts on the frontlines. MS Igloo is a special one among the set since it is done in pure CG. The cinematography is akin to that of war movies and the action is nothing short of gritty and intense. The rest are anime. And of course, all of the above have rather tragic stories

----------------------------------------------------

The Anime Side of US: Gundam Z, Gundam ZZ, V Gundam, Gundam F91

Pros: explains the more fictional-aspects of the Gundam UC canon -particularly about all the hoopla for Newtypes and psycho-frames and of course, the really emotionally-broken artificial newtypes.

Cons: a little cheesey at times, and if you have seen plenty of anime, the plots seem predictable -you will have to remind yourself that these may be the original inspirations though

For the more traditional anime fan, this is the set to watch. The formula for these ones are pretty standard for those of you who have seen plenty of other anime. But yes, expect some campy plots and also, silly 80's music (though I love the OPs for V and the theme song for F91). that being said, this is still the UC Gundam series so expect some tragic character deaths to get thrown in a lot.

---------------------------------------

Unicorn LOLz: Gundam UC

Pros: this is Universal Century, but really modern, and even if you skip everything else, the show tries to explain stuff. If you watched much of the earlier stuff, some of the things that appear here will be easy to identify.

Cons: hard to appreciate the homage to the old series when this is what you start with. Also, some of the foreshadowing devices make no sense if you have no clue what happened in UC.

This OVA series just came out a while back. The animation is superb, the characters are intriguing, and the story has pretty good impact. The mech design is kinda iffy at times, and yes, pink energy waves really isn't all that manly. that being said, this return to the old series closes up some of the loose ends from the older shows.

-------------------------------------

The new Anime Trifecta: Gundam G, Gundam W, and Gundam X

G Gundam is all about super-robot style, hot-blooded manly fighting. Imagine Dragonball meets Gundam. I recommend seeing this just for the sheer fun of watching robots do over-the-top special attacks on each other.

Gundam W is a nice take on the original space vs earth theme of the original series. The mech designs are pretty unique and are easy to appreciate. If you end up liking this, I suggest watching the OVA or movie of Wing, Endless Waltz. that one features mech re-designs from Hajime Katoki which are really awesome.

Gundam X is a great show, but it was cut short -so the ending is a little compact. That being said, it is a pretty unique story that is not as massive in scope as the other series, but at the same time, is able to focus a lot on character growth for most of the cast.

Yes, SEED: Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny

Uh.. okay. Well, the only reason I would recommend this is ONLY if you want to know what the hell people are talking about when they bring up Jesus Kira, or why Shinn is such a wuss. Honestly speaking, you can forget about this series and save yourself the trouble by just reading some summary online.

---------------------------------------------

I am Gundam LOL: Gundam 0 and 00 and the Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer movie

Gundam 0/00 has shades of Wing and the original UC storyline, which is nice. The art is modern and the mech designs are pretty nice too. Storywise, this one brings together many of the elements you would find in almost all the shows and tries to bring it together -and then after it does exactly that, it tries to step out of the box even further. Telling you why would be a massive spoiler though.

And that's it, I didn't bring up Gunpla Builders since that's more of a hobbyist show than it is for general anime fans. If you're interested in certain batch or certain show that I mentioned above and you would like me to go into detail about it. Feel free to ask me further. ^_^

That being said, I hope you guys enjoyed what I wrote so far.

I completely agree with what you said in regards to SEED. Wings will always have a special place in my heart as it is my first Gundam series but personal favorite is 00 series.

Just curious, did you leave out Turn A on purpose? I'm curious as to what your opinions on that one is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorCoffee

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:20 am

Turn-A...

Why not mention it? Uh, let's see now. Mustache mecha? Butterfly overkill move? Moon people on bi-planes?

Its worth looking into once you've watched/read most of Gundam. Becuase it functions more of a tribute series than a real "Gundam" show (I expect people to have mixed feelings about that statement).

And besides, I'd rather recommend "For the Barrel" before suggesting Turn A.

The only good thing about that show is Harry Ord, and he's still disturbing considering his crush on ********. Also, anything he does still pales in comparison to Quatro B.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jana198709
Titan of the Sea [LEGENDARY]

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Cool i hope i find sites in future to watch all those
Now watching naruto shippuden though, but i started with gundam wing since it was on tv. Ah the days: heero yui, relena, miss noin, quatra, and so many more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chris58jo

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:37 pm

DoctorCoffee wrote:
Turn-A...

Why not mention it? Uh, let's see now. Mustache mecha? Butterfly overkill move? Moon people on bi-planes?

Its worth looking into once you've watched/read most of Gundam. Becuase it functions more of a tribute series than a real "Gundam" show (I expect people to have mixed feelings about that statement).

And besides, I'd rather recommend "For the Barrel" before suggesting Turn A.

The only good thing about that show is Harry Ord, and he's still disturbing considering his crush on ********. Also, anything he does still pales in comparison to Quatro B.

hahaha that's what i wanted to know, thanks! Very amusing points, hehe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to start in the Gundam anime?   Today at 9:25 pm

Back to top Go down

Where to start in the Gundam anime?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1