HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 

GW banner... reprint?!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Messala/Monica reprint: what do you think?
GAME-BREAKING!!!
27%
 27% [ 7 ]
That is a dangerous move indeed.
38%
 38% [ 10 ]
Untradable 8* have no trade value, but still...
12%
 12% [ 3 ]
Well... i don't know.
4%
 4% [ 1 ]
Monica wasn't seen in ages, so a reprint could be healthy.
12%
 12% [ 3 ]
Ha! Those whales deserved it.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Two Messalas FTW!!!
7%
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

AuthorMessage
Vaati
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: GW banner... reprint?!?   Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:37 am

So the banners for the incoming events are up, and something really heavy showed up: LE reprints.

We all thought Leviathan's reprint for Awakening reasons was a dangerous move, but this banner gives even more worries as they feature the original units of an old Gift event, directly reprinted unlike our 5* friend.

Even with 8* being untradable, may i remind you that the 8* in question, Messala, was only awarded to the winner in each of the 9 ranking groups, which makes her one of the rarest 8* in Fanta, so a lot of effort was placed unto getting her. Another dangerous reprint is the Halloween version of Monica, from the first Hallowen event.

Some state that this is a ruse, and it may be, but for now, let's discuss like civilized players: what is your opinion should they go onwards with the reprint?

Edit note: While this thread talks about two specific reprints, Tattycoram's poll thread adresses the reprint issue in general, though turned to pullable packs rather than limited events. I advise that you check this thread, as there are some valid points there to read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AzakaZero
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:22 am

To me, personally, reprints don't matter much, I don't collect for the sake of collecting and I only trade for cards that have some utility. I'm all about having power and flexibility to tackle every type of event and every type of boss, and that's it for me.

I do find reprints a bit lazy and, well, boring, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KuroStar
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:34 am

For me, I think this is an outrageous move, to think they would do it and it's really not an error. Glad my device spoilt when it did, because this may be the last time I'll ever play it loool...

What are you looking at? Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spacebug
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 am

So they are trying to save money on the art they are purchasing for their rank reward cards huh? It's a dangerous move, because bragging rights >> any other value a card may have for top rankers. They should at least somewhat mark the re-release a little bit I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xfalconhunterx
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:38 pm

The "market" has crashed so hard in the last 8 months that reprinting units is essentially irrelevant at this point.

8*'s are the real powerhouses at this point, and competing for them is all in fun. There's no secondary market value to them. Most if not all 8*'s are still no-trade in JP, so I don't expect that to end anytime soon in NA.

All this does is weed out "sometimes" spenders who over-extend to compete for a reward. And since we have forum members openly admitting to running scripts to compete, I don't know why ANYONE would bother spending to compete anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tattycoram
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:41 am

Fanta has already reissued old rank rewards, such as the 6* Faith monster. Originally issued August 2012 to top 50, Faith monster became quite rare over time, and was reissued to top 15 in May 2014, nearly two years later.

They have also issued other old rewards from the "early days" of the game that had since become collectors items such as 4* Agnes, Blad etc monsters, and more recently 5* Sonia monster and the (previous to reissue) very highly sought and prized by collectors Luce monster.  Similar to the Faith reissue, a lot of time had elapsed (at least a lot in terms of mobile gaming time lol) and you had to do something to earn these as rewards in their "revisited" events.

Leviathan's reprint was shocking because he was originally a RANK reward card (like Faith was), but his reprint was in a pullable pack that anyone could buy. In fact he was issued in EVERY pack that you pulled at that time, so it was guaranteed that anyone could get him, no luck needed.  Where, as with Faith Monster, you at least had to rank again to get her, and less were reissued the second time around.

What would be shocking about any reprint at this point of Messala or Helena is the relatively SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME that has passed since they were first issued as rank cards, just March of this year.  

Reprinting Halloween Monica would not be surprising (given Fanta's record this year) because a lot of time has passed and she has become pretty rare. Still, it may be quite a blow to the original players who earned her, kept her, and are still playing.. or even to those collectors who worked hard to trade up to her.  But if she were handled like Faith -- only reissued to people who do something significant in the event and only and reissue significantly smaller number than her original print -- people may not be too freaked out.  

For the record, I still feel like ANY reissue of previous rank or earned reward cards is a bad idea. But reissuing Messala or Helena at this point, if the clues on the banner turn out to be true, will be a huge mistake.  As a previous poster has pointed out, the game is already rife with enough issues that Fanta ignores (rampant alts, piloting, script running, RMT) and Fanta has already told us, through their actions of reissues of rank and reward cards, that what we earn in the game isn't guaranteed to stay rare over a long period of time.  For Fanta to now say that we can't even count on something staying rare/unique for six months?  I can't imagine that would go over well at all, thus my choice of "game breaking" in your poll.

Editing to add: I think we should be careful just saying "reprints" or "LE reprints" because fanta has ALWAYS reprinted Limited Edition PULLABLE (meaning, in packs only temporarily as part of a available-for-a-short-time series) cards occasionally. While there may be a place to discuss how often they do that, whether they should, it is a VERY different and much more important thing we are talking about here, which is reissuing previous EARNED (Limited Edition because they were RANK or REWARD) cards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spacebug
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:11 am

Halloween Monica is gonna be cheap as dirt after the GW event... she's a participation reward, 10 of out 15 participations needed (lol)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xfalconhunterx
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:21 am

After checking the GW rewards list, it looks like Fanta is aiming to kill the secondary market by issuing reprints (now including LE rewards - like, ALL of them from the gifting event that featured them) as well as more collectible holiday units.

This in tandem with the 8* no-trade that doesn't appear to be going away any time soon suggests that they're changing direction.

I don't expect the rarest of LE units to show up (Black Dragon) but it appears that they're intentionally killing the secondary market and people that play Fanta exclusively to participate in trading and resource earning without spending.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tattycoram
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:12 am

xfalconhunterx wrote:
After checking the GW rewards list, it looks like Fanta is aiming to kill the secondary market by issuing reprints (now including LE rewards - like, ALL of them from the gifting event that featured them) as well as more collectible holiday units.

This in tandem with the 8* no-trade that doesn't appear to be going away any time soon suggests that they're changing direction.

I don't expect the rarest of LE units to show up (Black Dragon) but it appears that they're intentionally killing the secondary market and people that play Fanta exclusively to participate in trading and resource earning without spending.

I agree! (except on the Black Dragon point). I have had this theory for a while.  I also think it's a bad business move on their part, unless they know the game will be short lived for some other reason.

Sure, it's a way to take some of the steam out of real money trading and other "issues" At the same time they also doing other things to force people to earn the rewards they want (aka, in many cases, spend).  I can see some of their business interest here. But at the same time, they know they are destroying a part of the game that keeps a lot of people around (collecting and trading). If you and I are right, Fanta is working actively to diminsh some of the player base and diminish the diversity of types of players (such as those who like to collect, those who like to trade/flip cards, those who like to go for one dream card via trading up, etc)

Trading allows more casual players and casual spenders (those with jobs for example) to play only those events that we can, and then try and trade those cards for ones we like from other events.  Trading also allows smaller spenders to do OK and build resources over time to try and trade up.

Fanta is now clearly saying -- or at least the message we are receiving --  "do not spend or work hard  for any card due to its rarity or its collectibility, only for its usefulness to you, and in fact if you don't get it the first time around, you might get another chance"  In other words, if you were spending for one of three reasons (collectibility, tradability, or "this is the only chance to get this card") NEVERMIND.

Sure, some people will still spend for other reasons, but why eliminate the reasons some people compete? Why diminish the diversity of the player base, including the spending player base?  This eventually impacts the whales negatively too (they will get bored when there are less players to compete with, less to trade with, and when they can't unload anything in their hand)  

The people who run Fanta certainly understand this. Do they not care about sustaining the long-lived nature of the game, are they assuming that this game won't be around much longer anyway?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roanmarvel
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:11 pm

You know, Fanta has long been an oddity in that it allows in-game trading to the extend that it does (at least in games I've played).

Even Diablo 3 which originally featured in game RMT(!) had to reverse course when it turned out it was easier to trade for what you wanted rather than play the actual game (which, while good for the bottom line would have meant the end of the game in the long run).

Spacebug wrote:
Halloween Monica is gonna be cheap as dirt after the GW event... she's a participation reward, 10 of out 15 participations needed (lol)

Wow, look at that. Too bad it doesn't have Werewolf or Frankenstein too, those were neat looking cards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunkamajunka
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Just another change to the game you have to adjust to. The people complaining mostly are those with the vanity cards in question or those who spend an arm and a leg to get what they want (which to me takes away some aspects of the game ie. diligence strategy negotiation etc.) Games will often have a sour player when "changes" made. Monsters held no value other than defense in the early days of fanta, now hold more value than units. Introduction of 7*s deemed 6*s worthless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunkamajunka
☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:41 pm

(Sorry double post. Mobile and pressed send)

...8*s took even more value away from 6*s. Early on it was rediculous to even spend on packs without throwing a few thousand. They are rounding the game to be more effective overall. 3 million downloads?? Doesn't mean that many players play.

Imo its jist another aspect to adapt to. It sucks but deal with it or don't play.

No vote here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tattycoram
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 am

LOL at 3 million downloads. Just above 10,000 accounts (some of those alts) participated at all in the most recent event (popularity).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vaati
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Well i'll speak my mind about this.

I believe that this move was dangerous, not to my gameplay (because i do play this game for fun, the allies i meet and the occasional grinding competition), but because of the playerbase's health. A big part of the players i've heard about in this forum enters the competition for the cards and the brag rights they represent.

Reprinting said cards makes these high-spending players have less motivation, up to the point of quitting the game if all the luster is lost.

What bothers me is if the loss of said players makes a bigger loss than the players they'll gain in the future, which will be mitigated due to a possible downgrade of the game from players that are spreading the word.

A part of me believe that they don't know what they're doing on the NA servers, or at least the reprecussions. But, to be honest, the game's true core is the JP server. Many said, with justified arguments, that we are just easily disposable income of their side. And the reason why these games live much longer than expected is that new generations replace the old if the rhythm is maintained at a specific quote.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timed
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:46 am

You know what i wouldn't mind the reprinting on card if they actually had a second edition mark on them,
that way the first editions would still be great bragging right
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GW banner... reprint?!?   Today at 5:32 am

Back to top Go down

GW banner... reprint?!?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1