HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Share | 

Rebooting the Speed Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mass Zero

PostSubject: Rebooting the Speed Discussion   Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Hey all,

I read a few older threads discussing Unit Speed Ranks and the number representing attack delay on Chinese cards, and how nobody is really clear on what means what. I couldn't find any answers or theories explaining Unit speed, so I decided to do a little research myself.

First of all, my apologies if this has already been covered in the meanwhile. I couldn't find it!

What is my goal? I want to be able to calculate the true DPS of Units, in order to determine which Unit is really the strongest. To do this I recorded several pieces of in-game footage from quests and battles with Alma, and simply counted frames. Below you can find the results I found so far.

The game seems to be running at approximately 6fps. Does anyone have an exact number?

Units of different types (Melee, Missile and Magic) have different attack lengths. So far I found that all Melee Units have an attack length of 4 frames. Most Missile Units also have attack lengths of 4 frames, but I see few variations. Magic Units mostly have attack lengths of 9 frames, but also they have variations.

The Speed Rank (S to E) seems to be based on the delay between attack animations. This means that the actual attack animation is not included! I figured this out, because of some units have incredibly long attack animations, but still the same Speed Rank as those who have shorter attack animations, but the same attack delay. Furthermore, Units with the same Speed Rank of different Unit Types are not always equally as fast.

Below is a table that represents the attack delays for Melee Units:

Speed RankAttack DelayFrames
S0.15
A0.25
B0.45
C0.65
D0.85
Surprise, surprise! Only the first decimal counts.

Seeing as attack animations for Melee Units consume 4 frames, a full attack cycle takes 4 frames + the delay.

The data I have for Missile and Magic Units is very incomplete, and if you want to help out, do so! I need recordings of Missile and Magic Units in battle.

Missile:
B0.30
C0.5013 (Indirect WTF?)
D0.70
19 (WTF?)
See the 2 WTFs there? Yeah, I don't know. The 2 tested Units were Verne and Clarissa. Verne has an attack animation of 16 frames. 16! That's 4 times more than normal. Clarissa's delay is 19 frames, but she still has Speed Rank D, which also includes an attack delay of 15 frames.

Magic:
D0.50
11 (Indirect WTF?)
The WTF there came from testing Snowshoe. She has an attack animation of 12 frames, as opposed to the regular 9 frames. Yet she's still rank D.

As you can see, these 2 Unit types are a maze. I'm kind of stuck on what to do here, if I want to calculate their DPS...

That's it for now, I'm tired of testing, thinking and writing. I'll continue this research at a later date.

If you think you can help me out, feel free! Do your own testing or send me in-game footage. Make sure this footage is created using the new Android 4.4 record feature, which is done through ADB. It gives the best results. As for iOS devices; No idea.

bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lxserenadexl

PostSubject: Re: Rebooting the Speed Discussion   Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:41 am

Nice work! It seems as though units actually have varying attack speeds even though they are in the same speed rank. If I'm not mistaken, there is the speed that a unit's projectile takes to hit the target which is added to the attack speed rank which in total is equal to the exactly attack speed? (unit projectile time + attack speed rank time = actual?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roanmarvel
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Rebooting the Speed Discussion   Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:15 pm

RE: Verne

I've noticed that several ranged units do a multi-shot attack. So it isn't just a long attack animation, but an attack where she can end up targetting multiple units (she appears to only do this if a unit dies before her attack animation ends, not if the unit walks out of range).

I've also seen Aspara and Entia do this, there are others with long attack animations, but these 3 are the only ones I've definitely seen do the 'target switching'.

I don't have Snowshoe, but based on her attack animation length, could she have this attack property too?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rebooting the Speed Discussion   Today at 10:41 am

Back to top Go down

Rebooting the Speed Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1